The Battle Hill marker is 1/8 mile north of the Village of Fort Ann. Please visit the Fort Ann Historical Society at the Old Stone House Library, 36 George St. for information about Battle Hill, and DO NOT attempt to hike the hill or walk up Rt. 4. Much of the land is PRIVATE PROPERTY. There is no pull-off for the Battle Hill marker and this is home to many rattlesnake dens.
Don't Miss This When Visiting
A cast bronze plaque in the rock face of Battle Hill on Route 4 was placed during the 150th anniversary celebration in 1927, commemorating the Battle of Fort Anne.
The Battle of Fort Anne took place on Battle Hill on July 8, 1777. It was the most important battle that occurred in Washington County, and it was also one of the most hotly contested conflicts of the Revolution.
According to the journal of Lt. William Digby of the Shropshire Regiment, “They were handsome, (a flag), 13 stripes alternate red and white, with thirteen stars, in the blue field representing a new constellation.” This journal entry led to the belief that the Stars & Stripes were first flown in Fort Ann.
Related Sites Or Experiences
Suggested Further Reading
“Fort Ann: 300 Years of History”