Bluff Point Lighthouse at Valcour Island
Special Note: Although Bluff Point Lighthouse is open and free to the public on summer Sundays from 1-3pm, individuals must provide their own transportation to Valcour Island.
We are always looking for more volunteers for the lighthouse. If you are interested, please call 561-0340 or email Clinton County Historical Association at [email protected].
Don't Miss This When Visiting
Come inside to see displays interpreting the Lighthouse and the surrounding area, the Fresnel lens, the Iron Tower, the Architecture, the Lighthouse Keeper's family life, geology, ecology, and history of Valcour Island. A new display focuses on 20th century camps on Valcour Island.
Placed in service in 1874, the Bluff Point Light was one of the last lighthouses to be manned on Lake Champlain. It guided ships through the narrow passageway between Valcour Island and the New York shore for almost 60 years. Its fifth-order Fresnel lens was seen each evening from 1874 until 1930, when a steel tower was erected just south of the structure. In 2004, the lighthouse was reactivated when the light was removed from the steel tower and re-installed in the lighthouse.
It is currently open to the public and run by the Clinton County Historical Society.
Suggested Further Reading
Lake Champlain Lighthouses: A Guide to the Historic Lighthouses of Lake Champlain. Prepared by George Clifford, Author with Sid Couchy, Illustrator. Published and Distributed by Studley Printing & Publishing, Inc. Plattsburgh, New York. Available at theClinton County Historical Association and Museum, 98 Ohio Avenue, Plattsburgh, New York.
Season and Hours Open
Summer Sundays from 1-3 pm