Located in the rich agricultural region of the Cambridge Valley, this village and town are in the heart of Grandma Moses country. Resulting from its location at the upper reaches of the Hudson River Basin just north of the confluence of the Hoosic River and the Walloomsac River and within a few miles of Bennington, Vermont, Cambridge played a significant role in military and political affairs.
By the act dividing the county of Albany into districts passed in 1772, the Cambridge Patent was established. Early Dutch settlers in the nearby domain of Philip Van Ness and established tribes of Mohawks and Mohicans presented a mix of ethnicities as Irish immigrants began to settle in the village in the late 18th century. Cambridge began to prosper during the early 19th century as 17 flax mills were established in and near the town to take advantage of the abundance of this crop. In 1815, the Cambridge Patent was divided forming three towns, Cambridge, Jackson and White Creek
Beginning in 1845, the iron foundry and machine industry produced numerous farm implements including the Cambridge Plow, the first all steel plow in the country. The establishment of the J.B. Rice Seed Company, the Great Cambridge Fair and the Cambridge freight yard secured the town's agricultural development by the late 19th century. Through the first half of the twentieth century, the Rice Seed Company was the world's second largest company cultivating, packaging and distributing vegetable and flower seeds. Today, the town is restoring the freight yard and converting the buildings to shops, classrooms and galleries. Hubbard Hall Annex, built as an opera house in 1878, currently houses a theatre company, chamber music group, dance and educational programs. In 1956 a small group of monks established a monastery a few miles from the village.
The Monks of New Skete are internationally renowned for their dog training techniques, having produced two books and several videos that have gained wide attention. In 1969, the Nuns of New Skete settled on a nearby hilltop where they produce a number of gourmet food products.
Located along the Great Cambridge Turnpike, White Creek became a center of regional commerce late in the eighteenth century, and local prosperity reached its high point during the 1840s. Many of the Town’s early and historic commercial structures are preserved in a rare Greek Revival- style, representative of the peak of industry and high fashion in White Creek from the 1780s to the 1880s.
The Town of Jackson is well noted for its outdoor recreation, and historic and beautiful covered bridges. Jackson contains a chain of five lakes that boast campgrounds, cottages, picnic areas, nature trails, and fishing.