Chapman Historical Museum
The Chapman Historical Museum was started in 1965, when Juliet Chapman gave her home to the community to be a local museum. In the 1980's the museum added gallery space and collections storage by acquiring and renovating a nearby carriage barn and a decade later completed the current facility with the addition of a museum shop, classroom space and accessible lobby.
Fees: $5 Adults, $4: Seniors and Students, Free: Under 12
Don't Miss This When Visiting
Summer 2018 Exhibits
The Secret Life of Signs features photographs and the history of of the region's "ghost" signs and 20th century neon and plastic signs of Glens Falls, Lake George, northern Washington and Saratoga counties.
Signs of the Past highlights sixteen 9th C. photographs of signs on hotels, steamboat landings, and other structures, taken by the Adirondack photographer, Seneca Ray Stoddard.
The Chapman Historical Museum introduces people to the history of the Glens Falls/Queensbury area and it's connection to the greater Adirondack region. Exhibitions feature the 19th century Adirondack photographs of Seneca Ray Stoddard, and topics that relate to the unique history of the Glens Falls/Queensbury region.
Identify And Describe The Management Organization
The Chapman Historical Museum is run by the Glens Falls - Queensbury Historical Association, a 501(c)3 organization chartered in 1865 by the NYS Board of Regents.
The museum receives support from its members, local businesses and foundations, the Town of Queensbury and the City of Glens Falls.
Related Sites Or Experiences
Lake George Historical Association (Lake George, NY)
Bolton Historical Museum (Bolton, NY)
Warren County Historical Society (Queensbury, NY)
Old Fort House Museum (Fort Edward, NY)
Rogers Island Visitor Center (Fort Edward, NY)
Suggested Further Reading
Water & Light: S. R. Stoddard's Lake George, Essay by Joseph A Cutshall-King
In Stoddard's Footsteps The Adirondacks Then & Now, Photographs of S. R. Stoddard & Mark Bowie
Glens Falls People & Places, Bob Bayle, Lillian Casola, Stan Malecki & Gwen Palmer
Queensbury & Glens Falls Postcards, Bob Bayle, Andrea Matter & Tim Weidner
Bridging the Years: Glens Falls, New York, 1763 to 1978, a photo history published by the Chapman Hist. Museum
Season and Hours Open
Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday, Noon to 4 p.m.