Fort Miller - The American Revolution 
In the morning of August 10, Lt. Col. Baum leaves Fort Edward with his roughly 700-man force and the forward-advance of Burgoyne's 8000-man army. By Burgoyne’s order, Baum’s men carry no tents in order to travel light. They march down the east side of the Hudson River to Fort Miller. Almost all the cavalrymen lack horses, but it is an easy march along the old French & Indian War (1754−1763) military road, which the Americans used during the previous year’s campaign. The soldiers pass many well-built houses, now abandoned, and more fields of ripe grain. They see grapes, bilberries, blackberries and raspberries growing by the roadside.
That evening Baum camps by the bank of the Hudson River at Fort Miller. This small settlement, on the Hudson’s east bank, takes its name from an old French & Indian War fort− atop a glacis (artificial slope of the earth, of low incline) − on the opposite or west-bank side of the Hudson. Fort Miller will serve as a gathering place for Burgoyne and his troops over several weeks in August 1777.
The following morning, General Burgoyne rides on horseback from Fort Edward to Fort Miller to deliver a revised order to Baum. Col. Skene has convinced Burgoyne to limit and re-direct the raid to a small settlement south of Arlington: Bennington [VT]. Reports have come in of a Patriot supply depot there. Baum departs Fort Miller at noon