Guided Tours Are Offered
Yes. Guided tours are offered every Sunday in August by Les Amis du canal de Chambly. For more information, please visit http://www.lesamisducanalchambly.org/en/home/.
For More Information
Fort Sainte-Thérèse is a site located within the Chambly Canal National Historic Site, in Carginan near Île Sainte-Marie. It was designated a national historic site in 1923. A series of forts was initially built in this area in 1665 and 1666 at the most strategic spots along the Richelieu River in order to give the French Army an offensive advantage against the Iroquois nations and to put an end to their attacks. However, once a peace treaty was signed, Fort Saint-Thérèse was abandoned.
For more than a century, the fort was rebuilt several times and housed various occupants, including Clément Sabrevois de Bleury between 1741 and 1742. The merchant had a storehouse and boathouse built there. In August 1760, the French Army burned down the fort to prevent it from being conquered by British troops. Burning down forts was a common military tactic at the time.
For many years, the fort’s exact location remained unknown to modern historians, until it was discovered in 2007 on an aerial photograph dating back to 1938. Archaeological digs conducted in 2008 and 2009 confirmed the precise spot where the fort had stood.