Your browser is out of date.
This site may not function properly in your current browser. Update Now


NY 372 in Greenwich – Wikimedia/ Doug Kerr

The Town of Greenwich lies along the Batten kill just east of where the river drains into the Hudson River in the southwestern part of Washington County. The town became independent from the nearby town of Argyle in 1803. The Village of Greenwich was originally known as Whipple City after Job Whipple who established a cotton mill here in 1804. The town celebrates its founding every June by holding the Whipple City Festival, a three-day event with craft, carnival and other community activities.

Greenwich's industrial legacy developed from its role as a mill town and trading center. Gristmills, sawmills, woolen mills, cotton mills, flax mills and paper mills lined the banks of the Batten Kill. The site of Hiram Clark's mill at the Dionondohawa Falls, established in 1830, is currently the object of an effort to design a riverfront heritage park.
The Dunbarton flax spinning mill, established in 1879, operated for 72 years. The mill produced linen thread known for its strength. The company would eventually close in part due to the increased popularity of less expensive cotton cloth. At its zenith the mill employed 220 workers of whom the majority were of Irish descent.

George Henry Corliss, the son of the abolitionist Dr. Hiram Corliss, born in Easton in 1817 and educated at Castleton Academy, invented a machine to stitch leather and rebuilt a bridge over the Batten Kill before he moved to Providence R.I. where he would revolutionize steam engine design with the Corliss engine.
Besides being the childhood homes of President Chester A. Arthur and women's suffragette Susan B. Anthony, Greenwich is famous for its role in the "underground railroad" movement. In Mowry Park near the center of the village a plaque displays a map of homes and points of interest where fugitive slaves were said to have found safe haven until they could be secreted to Canada.