Historic Salem Courthouse
The Courthouse is open to the public, and there is no fee to visit and tour the facility. There are events, classes and fundraisers offered during the year which may have a fee.
The Courthouse gladly welcomes group tours by reservation. Please call 518-854-7053.
Don't Miss This When Visiting
The Shoppe Off Broadway Thrift Shop offering a wide selection of clothing for men, women and children. The Shoppe is open Wednesday, 1 to 6 pm and Thursday through Saturday, 10 am until 1 pm. Staffed by volunteers, all proceeds support the many youth programs offered in the area.
The Old Washington County Courthouse in Salem is one of the most important historic public buildings in the region...... contains one of the best preserved nineteenth century courtrooms in the entire state. - Historic Preservation Architect, John G. Waite Associates
The Historic Salem Courthouse is a historically significant building designed by noted architect, Marcus Cummings, and built in 1869. It stands proudly in the center of a very scenic community and serves as the anchor of the historic district which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The attached jail was designed by William J. Beardsley, architect of Attica State Prison, and was completed in 1906.
The Courthouse serves the area as a vibrant community center offering the following opportunities and services:
- an 85' Great Hall of the first floor offering exhibits of interest including the arts and history
- a nineteenth century courtroom on the second floor used for concerts, theatrical productions and lectures
- a fully equipped pottery studio
- gathering rooms used for meetings and classes for all ages
- the Shoppe Off Broadway thrift shop
- the Courthouse Community Garden which offers educational opportunities and grows produce to support the local food pantry
- the Lunch, Learn & Play enrichment program for children offered for 6 weeks each summer at no charge
- the Battenkill Kitchen - a commercial kitchen approved by the NY State Dept. of Ag and Markets
The active community center offers a wide selection of events each year including a talent show in June, the famous Al Fresco Weekend the end of July (the dinner for 400 on Saturday features locally grown food and is served under crisp white tents on the side lawn - the brunch for 300 on Sunday offers delectable fare prepared by 8 featured restaurants ), a haunted Courthouse and Jail each October, an Arts & Crafts Sale the first Saturday each December and a Homes for the Holidays house tour of 8 area homes the second Saturday each December.
For current information regarding classes, events and fundraisers, visit the website at www.salemcourthouse.org.
Identify And Describe The Management Organization
The Historic Salem Courthouse is a 501 c 3 not-for-profit organization that is managed by an Executive Director. It is governed by an active Board of Directors composed of 11 members who meet monthly.
Suggested Further Reading
For additional information, please visit the website at www.salemcourthouse.org.
Season and Hours Open
Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm - Weekends upon request or if there is a planned event