Hoosick Falls and the Town of Hoosick share a common history with the towns and villages along the Champlain Canal Corridor. Settlers came to Hoosick in the 1700s, establishing a primarily agrarian community. The falls of the Hoosic River soon powered mills and industries of regional and international importance, and the Village of Hoosick falls grew up around them.
Like other settlements with abundant waterpower, Hoosick Falls developed a robust milling industry in the post-Revolution era. The Caledonian Cotton factory and later the Tremont Cotton factory produced thousands of yards of cotton cloth a week.
Hoosick Falls grew even more prosperous when Walter A. Wood started manufacturing farm machinery in 1852. The Walter A. Wood Mowing and Reaping Machine Company (1852-1923) produced cutters, reapers and binders that were sold on every continent and won awards and medals at international expositions.
The Community Band, formed in 1878, performs regularly during July and August in the Victorian gazebo in Wood Community Park on Main Street.
According to Rutherford B Hayner , author of the History of Rensselaer County; Hoosick is compounded of two Indian words, Hussen and ack or ick, meaning "stony place". The name has been variously spelled Hossick, Hosick, Hosac, Hoosac and Hoosick being the most common, the latter being the form generally accepted.