Old Stone House Library
The library was built as a private home in 1825 by Willis Swift. In 1922, the building was given to the town by George Knapp to be used as a community house and library.
Note the fort-like construction, with no windows in the side walls. Those walls are 20 inches thick, and the window casings and floors are all original. The stones are bound tightly with the same mortar used when laid. The building was said to be a stop on the Underground Railroad.
The library is now staffed by volunteers and maintained by the town. Volunteers take care of the book collection and present programs for children, including summer activity programs and book clubs. They also hold bake and book sales and other fundraisers to help fund the collection and programs.
Identify And Describe The Management Organization
The Old Stone House Library is the lending library of the Fort Ann Historical Society. The library committee is made up entirely of volunteers, with a president, vice-president, secretary and treasurer.
What Are The Stories Told In This Facility
The Battle of Fort Ann
Halfway Brook, Champlain Canal and Waterway Navigation
What Are The “Don’t Miss” Experiences In This Community
Outdoor activities include: Hiking, biking, rock climbing, wildlife viewing, leaf peeing, camping, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, horseback riding, agriculture, historic downtown, and canoeing.
What Communities Does This Facility Serve
Town and Village of Fort Ann
Season And Hours Open
Tuesdays 2-4 pm, Wednesdays 8:30-10:30 am, Thursdays 1-3 pm