Completed in 1893, the Plattsburgh Breakwater runs for 1,565 feet. It was constructed to provide protection to Plattsburgh’s waterfront from the strong winds blowing up the lake from the south. It once held two, unoccupied lighthouses. Today each end of the stone breakwater is marked by a metal frame tower holding a light. The erosive powers of high water and ice mean that the breakwater requires continuous maintenance requirement. The protected area behind the breakwater holds a large marina of boats, a service dock for fuel, and several restaurants.