The land is all private.
Rock Harbor is one of the oldest ferry sites to Vermont. James Ring, an English Master Sailor, ran the first ferry here for Platt Rogers, established in 1790. Rock Harbor is a Historic Landing. Moses Felt operated a small sawmill here and cut most of the merchantable softwoods on this side of the mountain. Later, in 1876, Dr. Dickinson lived and ran a clinic here.
According to Gordon Sherman, Sr., a local historian, this was one of the first of the open-air treatment centers for TB in the Adirondacks. Patients slept in open lean-tos on balsam bough beds for their treatment, and according to Gordon, some of them were still standing in the early 1900s. He also bought the F. C. Strong Farm south of Fort Cassin across the lake and started a practice there. By 1889, he had moved his entire practice to California.
Later Boston millionaire Henry Higginson and his family owned the harbor and most of Split Rock Mountain all the way to Whallons Bay, Essex. (He managed more than 8,000 acres of it as a private forest preserve and farm.) It is now the center of a large privately owned association with 13 lots on the lake shore and many acres held in common.
The shore in now private land.